Friday, October 21, 2011

Eat, drink and be scary

With Halloween fast approaching, I thought it would be fun to make a Halloween Guide.


This guide will give you tips and tricks to make your Halloween as simple and as cost effective as you can!


***Carving a Pumpkin: 1.) Pick out a pumpkin;


Cost effective route: Purchase your pumpkin from a grocery store
Not on a budget: Go to your local pumpkin patch. 
2.) Pick a design- The biggest problem I come across every year trying to track down the PERFECT pumpkin carving stencil that I want to use.
I have gone from taking photobucket images and enlarging them on the copy machine, to searching every website until I can finally find what I am looking for--FOR FREE. Lets get real, who wants to pay to subscribe to pumpkin carving stencils???-not me!

Today, I finally found what I needed!  This is a free service, all you have to do is create a FREE account with them. If you are interested in printing out free carving stencils, please sign up on the following site:


http://www.bhg.com/halloween/pumpkin-carving/free-face-stencils-for-pumpkin-carving/?fb_ref=s%3DshowShareBarUI%3Ap%3Dfacebook-like&fb_source=profile_oneline
They have a ton of different stencils from cats to dogs - to ghosts and vampires. For a free service, they had a pretty wide range.

Here is an example of one of there products:
OF COURSE I had to use a pug. I think I am going to be creating my own pug pumpkin this year.
3.) Start Carving- You can use a knife from home, or purchase a carving kit. You can usually purchase a carving kit from the pumpkin patch or your local Cvs Store. The carving kit is typically under $5.00, and is extremely useful when carving your pumpkin. Trust me, you do want to purchase this!
***Costumes: When I hear the word costume, the first thing that pops into my mind is money. Unfortunately, we may not all have the luxury of spending a ton of money on our halloween costume this year. If you are on a tight budget, here are some suggestions for you:
1.) Burrow a costume from a friend- lets get real, YOU never wore it, so its not like your wearing the same costume twice
2.) Make your own costume out the items in your closet. Pull out a black tube top dress, some fish net stockings, and purchase a pair of cat ears--with the right make up--you are a CAT! Or a "Cat Bandet" as per below-I pulled all of those items out of my closet last year. That costume did not cost me a penny!




3.) Go shopping right after halloween for next years costume. There are SO many good deals and sales right after halloween. Pick up a few pieces for your outfit for the following year. Even if you don't wear the outfit for halloween, there may even be a themed or dress up party that you could wear the outfit to.
***Crafts:What fun is Halloween with out any crafts? I know one of my favorite things to do for Halloween is decorate! All the pumpkins, spiders, and witches are SO FUN!
Here are some fun ideas that I came across that can be used with household items:







Double, double toil and trouble; fire burn and cauldron bubble.
- - - Shakespeare "Macbeth"

1 comment: